Friday, May 18, 2007

A Quick Campaign

A special election for a state senate seat is over in a blink. After qualifying to run for Senator, there are only three weeks until the primary, and then three weeks after that until the election. The next five and a half weeks will be exhausting. There is so much to do: Mark's day is full of interviews with organizations deciding which candidate to endorse, interviews with radio shows and newspapers, and traveling around the third district (which is an extensive area). Meanwhile, back at the office, Kenneth is organizing the fundraising, the correspondance, the schedule, and everything else.

I'm coming in most days, when I get off work. I moved to Tallahassee when I graduated from college a year and a half ago. I began to get the itch not long ago to work on another campaign, and asked a friend involved with the Leon County Young Democrats to find a campaign for me to work on. Then I met Mark about a month ago, at Bids for the Kids, a charity event put on by Tallahassee 25. Mark and I had a long conversation, and I was intrigued by the work he had done for the UN, the travel he has done, and his commitment to his community. He called me on Monday and asked if I would help with his campaign for State Senate.

I've only been involved with national campaigns before. In those, there are thousands of people working together, in offices across the country. A volunteer can be given a very specific job, like stuffing envelopes for hours upon hours or making thousands of phone calls to voters. This is my first time working on a state campaign, and, after stuffing all of those envelopes, and calling all of those voters, I never thought about the other aspects of the campaigning. I'll be learning a lot in the next six weeks. I think a state race is a lot more exciting; the action is all right here. Keep checking in for updates!

No comments: